Statutory time period for retaining employee documentation is sh

6. November 2018 Poland

From 1 January 2019 the statutory period for retaining employment and personal files is shortened. The current 50-year retention period is reduced to 10 years starting from the end of the calendar year in which the employment ceases.

From 2019 employers will submit to the Social Insurance Office (ZUS authority in Polish) a personal monthly report which is recorded on the employee's account. The report should contain all information necessary to determine retirement or disability benefits, including the amounts, and consequently the longer documentation retention period will no longer be necessary. Furthermore, future changes will eliminate the need to obtain an RP-7 form from a former employer (which is a certificate of employment and salary certificate) and also the need to seek a legal successor of a former employer.

Not all employees will be subject to new regulations

The changes apply to employees employed after 1 January 2019. The documentation of persons employed between 1 January 1999 and 31 December 2018 must still be kept by the employer for 50 years, but this period may be reduced to 10 years if an employer submits a relevant report to the Social Insurance Office. The documentation of employees employed before 1 January 1999 must still be kept by the employer for 50 years.

Employee documentation in electronic version

From 1 January 2019 the amended rules will also enable employers to store employment related documentation and personnel files in electronic format. Employers may choose their preferred method of storing personal files. If the employer decides to store documentation electronically he will no longer have to retain hard copies.

If you are an employer, please remember…

You are obliged to inform your employees about the period of retaining employment and personal files. Moreover, you should inform them about the option of withdrawing personal employment documentation on request after 10-year period elapses. Also, if you decide to switch from the paper version to the electronic files or vice versa, you should inform your employees.

If you need any further information in this respect, please contact our Payroll department directly.